Made with Love

The Movie Thread Again

I also really enjoyed the Revenant, a little gory, but that added to the emotional ride. Leo put his heart into it.

[h=1]The Revenant is turning Leonardo DiCaprio into a legend[/h][h=2]The actor endured freezing temperatures and being covered in ants all in the name of the movie.[/h]
the-revenant7.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg


https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...-turning-leonardo-dicaprio-into-a-legend.html
 
He's a legend in my opinion, handsome, philanthropic, kind , conscientious, talented and......sexy!
 
The H8ful Eight, a good 7/10, not as good as Inglorious Basterds, KIll Bill , or Django Unchained, still very entertaining, the 3 hour length went by fast.

Star Wars , Force Awakens, a good solid 7/10 also, Daisy Ridley is a refreshing new acting talent.
 
My top 10 from 2015:

-45 Years (UK) - A revelation threatens to destroy a 45 year marriage. Strong performance from Charlotte Rampling. My pick for best actress.
-Dheepan (France) - Sri Lankan "family" flee to France and struggle to adapt. From the director of Rust and Bone.
-Inside Out (USA) - Surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did but I liked the concept. Something in it for both kids and adults.
-Land of Mine (Denmark) - Predictable but well acted film about German POWs, mostly teens, being used to defuse landmines along the Danish coast.
-Last Days of Vietnam (USA) - Documentary about the chaotic period leading up to the Viet Cong taking Saigon and the American evacation.
-Rams (Iceland) - Who knew that I wouold enjoy a film about the strained relationship between two sibling sheep farmers
-Room - Very different feel from the book but still very moving. Brie Larson carries the film.
-Son of Saul (Hungary) - A concentration camp prisoner desperately attempts to give a young boy a proper burial. Love the use of film and tight framing.
-Spotlight (USA) - Well acted, with a pretty good ensemble cast. Even though the ending is known, still kept me interested.
-The Witch (USA) - Witchcraft in colonial America. Creepy and very atmospheric.

Honourable mentions: Sicario, Mad Max Fury Road, The Russian Woodpecker, Steak (R)evolution

Still need to see Revenant and I missed When Marnie Was There, which is likely the final true Studio Ghibli film.
 
My top 10 from 2015:

-45 Years (UK) - A revelation threatens to destroy a 45 year marriage. Strong performance from Charlotte Rampling. My pick for best actress.
-Dheepan (France) - Sri Lankan "family" flee to France and struggle to adapt. From the director of Rust and Bone.
-Inside Out (USA) - Surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did but I liked the concept. Something in it for both kids and adults.
-Land of Mine (Denmark) - Predictable but well acted film about German POWs, mostly teens, being used to defuse landmines along the Danish coast.
-Last Days of Vietnam (USA) - Documentary about the chaotic period leading up to the Viet Cong taking Saigon and the American evacation.
-Rams (Iceland) - Who knew that I wouold enjoy a film about the strained relationship between two sibling sheep farmers
-Room - Very different feel from the book but still very moving. Brie Larson carries the film.
-Son of Saul (Hungary) - A concentration camp prisoner desperately attempts to give a young boy a proper burial. Love the use of film and tight framing.
-Spotlight (USA) - Well acted, with a pretty good ensemble cast. Even though the ending is known, still kept me interested.
-The Witch (USA) - Witchcraft in colonial America. Creepy and very atmospheric.

Honourable mentions: Sicario, Mad Max Fury Road, The Russian Woodpecker, Steak (R)evolution

Still need to see Revenant and I missed When Marnie Was There, which is likely the final true Studio Ghibli film.

You must be a movie buff :good:
 
I don't see a lot of movies until they hit the movie channels on TV, but last night I went to see "The Big Short". It's definitely not the movie I would have chosen for my first film of 2016 but my SO (who is in the money industry) wanted to see it and I accompanied her.

And I was right. She LOVED it, but there were long stretches that I found just on the edge of boring. The film is really well done, and they do dumb it down for us regular folks, by breaking the fourth wall occasionally like "The Wolf of Wall Street" and TV's "Modern Family". Little segments are inserted to explain things to the audience by celebrities like Selena Gomez, and that made it fun.

Great performances by the cast, including Steve Carrell, Ryan Gosling, and Christian Bale. Personally, it wasn't my cup of tea but my SO, who understood and was very familiar with everything they were talking about enjoyed every second. Mmm, the Hagen Daz ice cream bar (salted caramel) was delicious, although I could buy 12 at the supermarket for what they charged for two at the cinema. Oh well, it was a nice night out anyway...
 
Watching the life and death of Peter Sellers. Guess how many roles he plays without going to Google.
 
10 Cloverfield Lane:

Stars John Goodman as a survivalist who has built an underground bunker for an alien invasion. Most of film takes place in the bunker-which leads to great suspense and tension.

Spoiler alert: movie should have ended with the female character escaping the bunker looking skywards and saying something like "Oh Shit!"-fade to black and roll credits

Great film- 9/10, except for the last 10 minutes , take away a point for a final 8/10.
 
Movies I've watched/rewatched this past month or so...

Cherry Falls (2000) - I love this movie so much. If you enjoy horror/thrillers this is a must see.

Little Dead Rotting Hood (2016) - there were several parts that were done really well, several parts that were quite hokey. Watchable simply for some really sexy scenes.

School Ties (1992) - Hadn't watched this since late 90's so was cool to watch again.

Shallow Grave (1994) - love this movie, loved watching it again. Soooo well done.

Spasmo (1974) - this was an interesting watch. Italian horror movies are always so captivating if nothing else

Spring Break (1983) - such a Flanders' version of Spring Break. It was a long movie too. No real plot till 2/3's of the movie had already finished. I need to look up Sean Cunningham's movies and watch more of them

The Forest (2016) - I was initially upset I had missed this at the theatres. I'm so glad I didn't pay to watch this. It started out alright but they didn't really go anywhere with it. So disappointing. The "forest" is already such a creepy environment. For them to fail so miserably in making a scary movie about it is just sad.

Daddy's Home (2015) - I'm glad they didn't screw this up. Wahlberg and Ferrell have great chemistry. Was awesome to see Thomas Haden Church get a good role.

Krampus (2015) - Can't say enough awesome things about this movie. If you love scary movies, you've already watched this one and agree.

Ratter (2015) - this was a little tough to watch as I love Ashley Benson. They didn't cop out making this movie so I'm pretty glad about that. Well done in its genre
 
IfYouSeekAmy said:
Movies I've watched/rewatched this past month or so...

Cherry Falls (2000) - I love this movie so much. If you enjoy horror/thrillers this is a must see.

Little Dead Rotting Hood (2016) - there were several parts that were done really well, several parts that were quite hokey. Watchable simply for some really sexy scenes.

School Ties (1992) - Hadn't watched this since late 90's so was cool to watch again.

Shallow Grave (1994) - love this movie, loved watching it again. Soooo well done.

Spasmo (1974) - this was an interesting watch. Italian horror movies are always so captivating if nothing else

Spring Break (1983) - such a Flanders' version of Spring Break. It was a long movie too. No real plot till 2/3's of the movie had already finished. I need to look up Sean Cunningham's movies and watch more of them

The Forest (2016) - I was initially upset I had missed this at the theatres. I'm so glad I didn't pay to watch this. It started out alright but they didn't really go anywhere with it. So disappointing. The "forest" is already such a creepy environment. For them to fail so miserably in making a scary movie about it is just sad.

Daddy's Home (2015) - I'm glad they didn't screw this up. Wahlberg and Ferrell have great chemistry. Was awesome to see Thomas Haden Church get a good role.

Krampus (2015) - Can't say enough awesome things about this movie. If you love scary movies, you've already watched this one and agree.

Ratter (2015) - this was a little tough to watch as I love Ashley Benson. They didn't cop out making this movie so I'm pretty glad about that. Well done in its genre

No sports movies :biggrin2:
 
Wise Guy said:
No sports movies :biggrin2:

Not recently no. All the great sports movies have already been made don't you think?
 
IfYouSeekAmy said:


Not recently no. All the great sports movies have already been made don't you think?

There will always be another great movie with a million or so before it claiming to be great.
 
The Invitation (2015) - twisted fked up movie. No redeeming value. Would NOT recommend at all.


Mr. Right (2016) - Sam Rockwell AND Tim Roth in a movie together. Why hasn't this been done before? I'm not an Anna Kendrick fan, not sure why exactly. If not for her, this would be my new fave movie. It's still awesome.
 
Back
Top Bottom