Made with Love

The Movie Thread Again

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane today. Just as entertaining as the first one. As with most movies of the ilk, you have to let go of things that don't make sense with reality. I just love Mary Elizabeth Winstead's body
 
It just finished this past Sunday but HotDocs (a documentary film festival) was quite good this year. Out of the dozen I saw my favourites were:

Audrie and Daisy - Stories of two girls who were sexual lyrics assaulted and subsequently attacked on social media and in school. Very moving. Daisy, one of the subjectsubjects of the film was there for the screening.

Beware the Slenderman - Following a case where two girls lured their friend to the woods, stabbed her and left her for dead. Goes into slenderman urban legend.

Ants on a Shrimp - Being a foodie had to see this one. The chef from Noma brings his team to Tokyo for popup. Watching them develop the special menu is amazing...make sure you don't go in on anew empty stomach.

Diving into the Unknown - A group of Finnish divers lose two of their friends during a dive in a subterranean cave. The authorities are unable to recover the bodies so theyou decide to dive again and retrieve their friends. Amazing footage from over 100m underground. A lot of it shot on go pros.

The Apology - Following the story of three women who were abducted by the Japanese during wwii and forced into sexual slavery. I was familiar with the story from the Chinese point of view. Was interesting to see it from the Korean and Filipino views. Also very moving film. Was the runner up for people's choice award.

My Scientology Movie - Louis Theroux's attempt at making a film on scientology. Very funny view of what's going on in there.
 
I recently saw Where to invade next and liked it, of course I'm a huge Michael Moore fan so...
another must see imo is Concussion-Will Smith is excellent and the add on from the actual doctor at the end adds interest


@IfyouseekAmy-Tim Roth is an undervalued actor imo, love him, thank you for mentioning him and that movie, now on my must see list:)
 
SandOnTheBreeze said:
It just finished this past Sunday but HotDocs (a documentary film festival) was quite good this year. Out of the dozen I saw my favourites were:

Audrie and Daisy - Stories of two girls who were sexual lyrics assaulted and subsequently attacked on social media and in school. Very moving. Daisy, one of the subjectsubjects of the film was there for the screening.

Beware the Slenderman - Following a case where two girls lured their friend to the woods, stabbed her and left her for dead. Goes into slenderman urban legend.

Ants on a Shrimp - Being a foodie had to see this one. The chef from Noma brings his team to Tokyo for popup. Watching them develop the special menu is amazing...make sure you don't go in on anew empty stomach.

Diving into the Unknown - A group of Finnish divers lose two of their friends during a dive in a subterranean cave. The authorities are unable to recover the bodies so theyou decide to dive again and retrieve their friends. Amazing footage from over 100m underground. A lot of it shot on go pros.

The Apology - Following the story of three women who were abducted by the Japanese during wwii and forced into sexual slavery. I was familiar with the story from the Chinese point of view. Was interesting to see it from the Korean and Filipino views. Also very moving film. Was the runner up for people's choice award.

My Scientology Movie - Louis Theroux's attempt at making a film on scientology. Very funny view of what's going on in there.

Thanks, you and Amy must be yearly ticket holders to every TIFF events.
 
Anyone watched Zootopia?.


[h=2]The movie is only the fourth animated title in history to cross $1 billion, not accounting for inflation.[/h]Defying all odds, Disney Animation Studios' Zootopia has crossed the $1 billion mark at the global box office, becoming the second film of 2016 to achieve the milestone after fellow Disney title Captain America: Civil War.
Furthermore, Zootopia is only the fourth animated title in history to reach $1 billion after Disney Animation's Frozen ($1.277 billion), Illumination Entertainment's Minions ($1.159 billion) and Pixar's Toy Story 3 ($1.063 billion), not accounting for inflation.
Zootopia, which is in its 17th weekend in release, has grossed $337.2 million domestically and $662.8 million internationally.
Disney now boasts 11 of the 26 films that are members of the elite billion-dollar club.
 
During dinner my family was talking about how the new Ghostbusters film was not doing as well as hoped at the box office. I suggested we go see it after dinner, as we had no plans for the evening anyway.

We saw it in 3D (why not?) and there were a lot of special effects that took advantage of that format, ghosts and ectoplasm coming at you. And speaking of special effects, this film is loaded with them. Unfortunately there's not a heck of a lot of story, just lots and lots of special effects. Very well done special effects but heck, a little more story would have been nice.

Still, I'm not complaining too much. We had a good, fun time, exactly as we expected. The cast does very well in their roles, and it's a lot of fun looking for the cameos from the original 1984 cast. No sign of Rick Moranis (very definitely retired) and of course, the late Harold Ramis (who the film is dedicated to) but the rest of the main cast make an appearance.

If you go see it, stay right through the credits, as there is a final scene at the very end with an extra joke (assuming you remember the original film).

I had a couple of free passes and a gift certificate paid for the difference so it was exactly $0 for our night out. If I had paid $50, I think I might be disappointed but for $0 we had a good time. Unless you really love the 3D you might want to wait until it's available on the movie channel or for download.
 
All thumbs up:)Free state of Jones, with Mathew McConaughey. I thought it was very good, based on actual events, although to that I cannot attest as I was born a few years after the fact....... early 1900's:wink2:
 
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - entertaining and reasonably funny
The Shallows - was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised
The Nice Guys - looooooooooved everything about this movie
The Boss - again I wasn't expecting much and it was alright
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - boring, dumb, didn't finish watching it
 
Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - entertaining and reasonably funny
The Shallows - was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised
The Nice Guys - looooooooooved everything about this movie
The Boss - again I wasn't expecting much and it was alright
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - boring, dumb, didn't finish watching it

Thanks you sexy woman.
 
Here is one that is worth watching. Heat up the popcorn and enjoy. Might interest your kids too.

 
^ Thanks anonymous69 for that and your support:), I've been following Leah Rhemeni's stories on A&E about scientology, so this will be interesting to see as well.

A movie I watched the other night and felt is worth recommending, if you like thrillers was Don't Breathe
 
Back
Top Bottom